Hello all, I hope these medical minis aren’t too basic for my readers, but I wanted the lay person to be included too.
What is a healthy plate? It is a plate that contains all the foods from the diabetes food pyramid: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, starchy veggies, whole/low fat milk, lean meats, meat substitutes and healthy fats.
· One half of your plate should contain vegetables.
· One fourth of your plate should be a starch/starchy vegetable
· One fourth lean meat or protein.
· One fruit side serving
· One dairy side serving
Here is a sample 2000 calorie diabetic meal plan for adults and older children.
· 2 cups of fruit (2-3 servings)
· 2 ½ cups of vegetables each day (5 servings)
· 6 oz of grains (1/2 grains to be whole grains), beans and starchy vegetables. (6 servings)
· 3 cups milk-low fat or fat free and other milk products.
· 5 ½ lean meat, meat substitute
· Know your doctors recommendations on salt, fats and sugars.
· Please remember to exercise daily.
· Eat about the same time each day
· Depending on blood sugar control, many people need a bedtime snack.
· Plan ahead for Holidays in order to enable you to eat as routinely as possible.
· Alcohol may cause low blood sugar, no more than 1 drink a day for women, 1-2 for men a day no more than 1-2 times a week.
I hope this leaves ‘food’ for thought, Geri. (lol)
Causes Shirley Bullock Supports
4-H, and council for the arts