I have been busy with the cottage school and have not been able to invite Geri over to write. Here is a short missive from her concerning the Holidays!
Holidays can seem even more stressful when you are a diabetic. Here are a few suggestions.
- Keep warm while shopping.
- keep glucose tablets in your purse in case you don't eat between stores.
- Keep your meter on you.
- Make sure you have an ID bracelet on.
- On your cell phone you can use the word ICE. (in case of emergency) and have your contact person's name under it. Ambulance drivers and police officers look for this.
- Make sure your shoes fit well.
- Tell someone your approximate schedule.
- For family functions you bring in a diabetic dish or unsweetened tea.
- Remember drinking really wacks your glucose levels.
- Try to limit stress related sugar spikes.
- Take time to relax.
- Do not over eat. If you can't resist Grandma's pumpkin pie, take a taste or a small sliver. You won't feel deprived that way. Keep track of your carbs in order to have a dessert.
- Try to ignore well meaning people who try to 'watch' your glucose for you. Just remind yourself, you are loved.
- See ya later, Geri.
Causes Shirley Bullock Supports
4-H, and council for the arts