Diabetic Terms from Geri’s Medical Minis
Hello, here are some more terms for diabetics.
· Sweets and Desserts
· Try (notice I said try) to limit sweets they provide little nutrition.
· If you have favorite sweets that you binge on, count your carbs all week and make a date with yourself to have that slice of chocolate pie. Then once finished make a date and work toward the next indulgence next week. This approach works best with a coach that you can eat with like the girls on girl’s night out or your wife on a special date night.
· When you read sugar-free it does not mean carb or calorie free
· Protein is the building blocks of the body and most Americans eat too much protein.
· Most Americans need 2-3 ounces of protein at two of their three meals. 2-3 ounces is about the size of a deck of cards or a woman’s hand.
· Other protein sources include dried beans and peas, cheese, nuts, soy, and milk or milk products
· If you have kidney problems ask your health care provider you may have to limit your protein intake
· Fats are maligned for good reason: We need it to absorb certain vitamins. We use it to flavor foods, of course people eat too much and the wrong kind of fats.
· Here are some simple ways to cut fat:
· Cut the amount in half and see if it tastes good
· Measure the fat.
· Do not add fat to foods, we no longer need to use lard for example in cooking, use cooking sprays
· Bake, microwave, grill, boil, roast or broil your foods.
· Choose oils that are liquid at room temperature such as olive or canola oils.
· Look for total fat content on the food label and keep under 3 grams per 100 calories.
More will be coming, eat healthy today. At least you don’t have to cook on a wood stove! I am finally learning how! Geri
Causes Shirley Bullock Supports
4-H, and council for the arts