The Amazon Kindle Select program, which allows self-published authors to list their books for free for 5 days every 3 months, has been up for several months. Here are some tips on how to make the free promotion option work for you:
1. Wait until you have at least 6 good reviews before going free.
2. There has been much discussion about how many and which days to choose. I am tending to believe 1 or 2 day promotions are best, Wed, Thurs, or Sunday. Try skipping a day between two free days.
3. A week before your free promotion, alert ENT (Ereader News Today) and POI (Pixel of Ink). Google their names and look for sign-up forms. Alert other book blogging sites, particularly those in your genre.
4. On the first day of your promotion, alert all your followers on Goodreads, Facebook, and Twitter. Ask your Twitter followers to retweet your promotion.
5. Twitter about your book to all Free Kindle twitter addresses (do a search for them on Twitter).
6. Email all good reviewers of all of your books. Many reviewers have email links on their Amazon Profile. Invite them to "gift" free copies to friends.
7. List your link on Kindleboards, both on this link for free books, and on your individual book thread in the Bazaar.
8. List or update your book thread on mobileread.com about your free book. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/
9. On the first day of your free promotion, get up very early (like 3 A.M.) and add your book to the Amazon Kindle Forum thread for free books. Also add a comment to your book on the Amazon Kindle Forum Meet Our Authors thread that your book is free.
10. If you have several titles, try staggering free promotions. Free promotions seem to work particularly well for books in series, drawing people to buy other books in the series.
11. Organize a free promotion with four or five other authors on the same day, preferably with some theme in mind. Twitter and promote each other's books.
12. After your free promotion when your rank is slipping, gift copies of your book to boost your rank.
13. Several weeks after your promotion, run a .99 special on your non Kindle Select books by lowering your price on Smashwords. Amazon will match the price, discounting your price.
Any other suggestions?