“A CDC study shows that about 75% of people (kids included) in America have detectable levels of organophosphate (OP) pesticide metabolites in their urine.” David Collier, MD, PhD, FAAP
The old saying, “We are what we eat” rings true and in a most disturbing way. Could our children (not excluding adults) be walking pesticide reservoirs? Numerous urine studies have shown including by the NAC (National Academy of Sciences) that pesticide residues from foods have a tendency to remain in the systems of children much longer than adults. Although it’s been suggested that pesticides such as organophosphates present no health risks, there are plenty of known cases that say otherwise. Organophosphates which account for over half of the insecticides used in the United States are applied to most of the grown food that children consume. The thought of consuming insecticides makes me cringe and the thought of it floating around our children bodies is utter frightening.
Children are especially vulnerable to the toxic effects of organophosphate pesticides because their bodies and brains are still growing. Even low body levels of organophosphate neurotoxins can contribute to developmental delays, behavioral problems, attention problems/hyperactivity, poor school performance and learning disabilities. Imagine what they may have caused over the years for adults who continue to consume pesticide applied foods. And at times we may wonder why our memories have lapsed over the years.
The key is and always has been to know the food you embrace. Don’t be duped by advertisements that claim that their once shoddy foods are now suddenly good for you because vitamins are added or labeled organic. Chemical laden foods are simply dangerous and should be avoided. More importantly immediate action needs to be taken to secure our children health by ridding their bodies and ours of pesticides that have taken residence. It’s not surprising that nature has always provided doorway out of the predicaments we find ourselves in. We only have to return the basic aspects of eating healthy as it was done thousands of years ago. Which simply means eat organic.
Eating organic has been proven to greatly reduce the toxic levels of pesticides in the body as found during a urine research program on children performed by the National Research Council. I found it astonishing as well as refreshing to learn that the urinary concentrations of compounds of children that were ingesting the organophosphorus pesticides, malathion and chlorpyrifos, became undetectable immediately after the introduction of organic diets and remained undetectable until the conventional diets were reintroduced.
What’s vital to understand is that eating organic can not only reduce and eventually rid our bodies of pesticides, but provide protection as well. So examine your diets and your children and determine if you and your family are living chemical reservoirs. If the answer is yes or of uncertainty, make a shift in your thinking and your habits toward true organic foods.
Causes Roosevelt Pitt Supports
I support organizations dedicated to ending childhood obesity.