Still experiencing 2012, my thoughts split at a fork. One to my business and personal life, the other to the larger world. The sun shines. I've showered, bobbed my hair, and had my coffee. Shoveled sidewalks checker the world beyond my window. And on the horizon the threat of a fiscal slope which if not avoided promises to slide the middle class (and the economy) just a wee bit down a nasty financial run. One cannot help but hope that those to the right will see the light and join the Congress in preventing what might amount to disasterous slippage. The vote's not in however I remain optimistic.
But then there is the growing network of writers gradually assembling within and around ALVA Press, Inc., my very slowly but steadily growing cooperative publishing company. Let me share a few 2012 milestones.
- Published three eBooks: Drum Machine by Kristen Henderson, Tales from the Revolution by Lorna Tychostup, and Streetscape: A Jake Soho Mystery by Carl Waldman bringing our tally to four eBooks released to date.
- Drum Machine by Kristen Henderson was awarded a Gold Medal in Poetry in the International eLit Awards sponsored by Jenkins. Congratulations, Kristen!
- Barnes and Noble has been featuring two of ALVA's books in its turn of the year online ads: Jolt: a rural noir by yours truly and Streetscape: A Jake Soho Mystery by Carl Waldman.
- Helmy Parlente Kusuma won the Green Tomatoes Novelists Runoff. His charming young adult/adult coming of age story will be released early in 2013.
- Yesterday Betty Hampel's manuscript for her action-filled novella Trauma arrived for early publication in 2013. Also expected later in the year is the release of a compilation of interviews and essays by Roberta M Roy (me again), a second novel by Betty Hampel called Once a Gypsy, and two illustrated children's books.
As for family, my wonderful three grandsons will turn 13, 12, and 9. My son, Stef Ottaviani, has agreed to do cover design for ALVA. He's just great! And, life is good all round.
All best wishes to you and yours in the New Year 2013!