Once and for all I'm putting resolutions to rest. This year I'm going to be more resolved.
This is a stretch for me. I have adult attention deficit disorder. I get distracted easily. Oh, look at that pretty thing. What was I saying? Oh, yeah, I lack focus.
Cleaning and organizing my house? What a joke. I start folding laundry, go to put it away and see my bed isn't made. But I really want to strip the bed and wash the sheets because I love clean sheets. So I take off the sheets, put them in the washer. On my way back from the laundry room, I notice some of Jack's books on the floor. I pick them up. In order to put them away, I have to organize his shelves. I clear the shelves off and stack all the books and crap on the floor. I go to get a dust rag from the hall closet where I see the laundry I haven't folded yet. I start folding laundry. The cycle repeats itself.
My writing has been a lot like my "cleaning" vicious cycle. Every year I write something to bring to the Taos Summer Writers' Conference. That means when the conference is over in July, I start something at the end of summer to have workshopped at the conference for the following year. This is the way it's been the last seven years. I've always hopped from writing project to writing project, like a frog landing on a lily pad searching for the juicy fly. It's the reason I started the blog. I can write a 500 word post about whatever I want, post it and move on to the next topic.
I am capable of finishing longer pieces of work. I have written two and half novels. I have finished a memoir, LETTING GO: A MOTHER'S STORY, which won a San Diego Book Award this year. I had the memoir read and critiqued by an editor and have begun the process of rewriting it. But I'm resolved (Ha!) to go back to Taos this summer so I've started to rewrite the memoir I wrote 50,000 words for during NaNoWriMo. Are you exhausted from reading this? Yeah, me too.
That's why in 2011 I'm going to be more resolved.
1. I'm going to finish the rewrites from the editor on LETTING GO: A MOTHER'S STORY. I'm going to send this out to agents (AGAIN!) and submit to writing contests. When the rejects come back, I'm going to send the memoir out again. The failing of the publishing industry be damned.
2. I'm going to finish reading all those books I've started reading. What happens is I get thirty pages into a book and then I find myself in a book store where I buy another book, start that one, buy another book...you get the picture.
3. I'm going to smile more.
4. I'm going to finish what I started. When cleaning the house or organizing a room, I'm going to finish it before I move on to the next project.
5. I'm going to hang pictures that have been leaning against the walls for years. I'm going to change up the family photos that are so old that Jack is a crawling baby (He's seven now.) and their photos of in-laws who are no longer in-laws anymore. HELLO!!!
6. I'm going to listen to the whole CD.
7. I'm going to hug and kiss more.
8. I'm going to stop checking voicemail, email, FaceBook, etc. every five minutes when I get bored with whatever I'm doing. While writing this post, I've checked all these twice. Instead I'm going to finish whatever I'm working on and then go play.
9. I'm going to laugh more.
10. I'm going to pay off my credit card balance and then pay the entire amount every month.
I feel better already. Heck, I'm not even going to wait until 2011 to be more resolved. This makes me smile.
How are you going to be more resolved?