This marketing thing is all new to me, but I'll let you know what has worked for my book, Accidental Cowgirl, so far:
1. I now have several web pages (this one is the best);
2. I contacted the main branch of my county library early on, to get on their calendar. As a result, I got seven appearances at branch libraries, plus a gig at my local Barnes and Noble;
3. I sent out media kits to local newspapers radio and TV stations and magazines;
4. I did readings at local independent bookstores, and
5. I send out regular news releases whenever I have interesting information to share.
That's just a start, but I hope it will help you who have just begun the fight for eyeballs and wallets. Beginning at the local level has a lot to recommend it. A local resident has even offered to host a book-signing for me at her home soon.
About Mary Lynn
Causes Mary Lynn Archibald Supports
Battered Women's Shelter, SPCA, Healdsburg Animal Shelter, Nature Conservancy