Curious Pages is a blog that scans and posts strange and wonderful children’s books that time forgot. Browsing through its archive, we were reminded of just how weird kids’ books could be — in a good way this time. We caught up with the site’s editors to hear what sparked the idea, and find out their favorite inappropriate and incredible books for kids young and old.
...And without further ado, here’s Curious Pages’ 10 Awesome and Inappropriate Books for Kids.
1. Struwwelpeter by Dr. Heinrich Hoffmann
2. The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey
3. A Head For Happy by Helen Sewell
4. Fables You Shouldn’t Pay Any Attention To by Florence Parry Heide & Sylvia Worth Van Clief and Victoria Chess
5. I Know an Old Lady by Rose Bonne, Alan Mills and Abner Graboff
6. How to Make an Earthquake by Ruth Krauss and Crockett Johnson
7. Grammar Can Be Fun by Munro Leaf
8. The Dead Bird by Margaret Wise Brown and Remy Charlip
9. The Bomb and the General by Dr. Umberto Eco and Eugenio Carmi
10. Baby, Mix Me a Drink by Lisa Brown