You know how the jokes begins: You know you’re a redneck if … Or, you know you’re from New York if …. Well, it’s no joke if you know you’re a drunk. Or suspect you are. Or want to print this out and anonymously send it to a friend who is a drunk. Take it from me, a former drunk. You know you’re a drunk when …
- You really “need” a drink.
- You “have” to drink every day.
- You can’t remember saying no to “just one more.”
- You drink to avoid even the thought of withdrawal.
- You are fondest of places (like bars) where you can always get a drink.
- You are always thinking about that next drink.
Are you a drunk? Quit. I did. “I Quit” is the name of the book I wrote on quitting booze, cigarettes and overeating (www.dovelinpublishing.com). Was it easy? No. I’m just an ordinary person who took an honest look at myself. It wasn’t pretty. It wasn’t pleasant. I asked for help from my family. I gave up “friendships” and stayed away from bars. I asked for help from a higher power. I did not do it alone.Was it worth it? Absolutely. I’m free of my addictions.Being a drunk is not a joke, and neither is quitting. But I did it. You can, too!