Last night, as if for the first time, I realized I am a writer.
I have read that if you want to determine whether you are a writer or not, you should try to do something else. Anything else. I spent the greater portion of 2008 trying to convince myself that I was not a writer. I think the longest I have ever survived not writing is three months.
I am not even sure of those three months count since I always blog, write letters and write emails.
On October 8, 2009, I have decided to dedicate my life to writing. Granted, I still have bills to pay, medicine to take and one mouth to feed. I must strike the balance of working writers life. And first I must find work!
My Writing Agenda: Past and Present
1. Poetry: Brown Paths (LeAdfoot Press, 2003)
2. Poetry: Laughing Behind Closed Doors (LeAdfoot Press, 2005)
3. Poetry: Kings, Niggers and Negroes (LeAdfoot Press, 2005)
4. Essay Anthology: The Three Minds of Black America (collecting)
5. Screenplay: (completed) O. of O.
6. Novel: (stuck) O. of O.
7. Poetry: The Flagellant: Love Poems (started)
8. Spoken Word: Raw. Naked. Rare (abandoned, need to re-record)
9. Essay and Poetry Anthology: The Three Minds of Women of Color (future)
10. Essays: The Last Sex and Other Essays (started)
11. Philosophy: Crisis of Consciousness
Before I turn 25 I would like to
1. Reprint Kings, Niggers & Negroes and sell.
2. Find Agent and/or Publisher for The Three Minds of Black America
3. Collect Essays for The Three Minds of Black America
4. Revise, Edit & Register O. of O. screenplay
5. Finish first draft of O. of O. novel
6. Perform and Slam Spoken Word again
7. Find a local producer for Raw. Naked. Rare.
8. Publish written essays & Write more essays