Whoo-hoo! I'm signed up for Run-A-Steam-Locomotive, sponsored by the Golden Gate Railroad Museum. And my husband, David, will join me in the engine cab of No. 2472 along the Niles Canyon Railway track. I have three weeks to lose five pounds so I can fit into my old blue-and-white striped coveralls. Oh, yeah, I better review a lot of stuff about steam locomotives, too.
Laurel Anne Hill, Author of "Heroes Arise," http://www.laurelannehill.comL
Run-A-Steam Locomotive GGRM StaffFebruary, 2010Your once in a lifetime opportunity to take the throttle of SP #2472
The Golden Gate Railroad Museum, in conjunction with the Niles Canyon Railway, is excited to announce the opportunity of a lifetime. Take a step back in time and fulfill your childhood fantasy of running a steam locomotive with our "Run-A-Steam-Locomotive" program.
The Run-A-Steam-Locomotive program will be held on Thursday, March 11, and Friday, March 12, 2010 on the Niles Canyon Railway in beautiful Niles, California. What better way to gear up for Winterail 2010?
- Operations will utilize the GGRM's former Southern Pacific 4-6-2 #2472
- An instructional course will be provided by the Golden Gate Railroad Museum's Chief Mechanical Officer on the safe and proper handling of a steam locomotive.
- During your one hour session you will operate SP 2472 from the end of yard limits at Niles two miles into the canyon and back at 10 miles per hour.
- Two people can share an operating session; Participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Proper clothing is required. We recommend a long sleeve shirt, boots and gloves.
- Former Southern Pacific Club-Lounge No. 2979 will serve as the classroom and refreshment area.
- Participants will receive a certificate and special recognition item.
Tickets can be purchased online at http://ral.eventbrite.com.
Causes Laurel Hill Supports
Winter Nights Shelter and Shelter, Inc.