I have a couple of e-books enrolled in KDP Select https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A6KILDRNSCOBA because it seemed like a good idea to give them away for free five days every ninety days on a trial basis. However, only 39 people downloaded one of the books http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Horse-Catfish-ebook/dp/B009GERYUK/ref=la_B009G... the first time it became available for free for a day and another book was downloaded by only 3 people.
So, I tried the Author Marketing Club http://authormarketingclub.com/members/submit-your-book/ for this second book to see if it really makes a difference. It was a lot of work (tedious is the fitting adjective) but I filled out the forms and was satisfied with the result of my KDP Select Promotion. Out of the eleven or so sites where I submitted my book to be listed on Tuesday, November 13th, two sites picked it up and a total of 178 people downloaded the e-book http://www.amazon.com/Three-Rhymes-Young-Twelve-ebook/dp/B009G9ZMDG/ref=... (1 in Germany and the rest in the U.S. and India combined, the breakdown of which is undocumented.)
The free book submission tool is a web page, the content of which includes links to 17 web sites that offer to list e-books that are enrolled in the Kindle Select Program and scheduled for free downloads (up to 5 days, on separate or consecutive days, out of the 90-day enrollment period.) Since my books are also available in print, I felt that this is a good marketing strategy for a preview that can potentially generate sales of my books in print and decided to give it a try. Besides, I've heard that many new authors don't make a single sale due to invisibility, in which case, it's a good idea to give some e-books away for free to potential readers.
So, what do these 17 links consist of?
1. Pixel of Ink: "If your book will be listed as Free ($0.00) on Amazon.com in the next 30 days, then please let us know by filling out the form below. Pixel of Ink may attempt to feature your book on the day it is free, time and space permitting."
2. EReader News Today: We do not guarantee that your book will be posted if you submit it due to the large number of requests that we get. We also have to reduce the number of free books we post due to restrictions that have been placed on us by Amazon. However, we will do our best to get your book posted for you. The books that will be posted will be the books with the highest ratings and the most reviews. If your book has a small number of reviews (0 – 3) or low ratings (below 4.0) it will not be posted. We will not repost a free book within 60 days of the previous free book posting. We will not promote books that contain the following: erotic scenes, pornography, have graphic sex scenes, explicit sex scenes, soft core porn, have a lot of sex scenes, contain controversial subject matter, offensive to any race, gender, religion, etc. We reserve the right to refuse any book for any reason.
3. Books on the Knob: There is no guarantee that I'll list your book on the promotion days (or, at all). You will have a better chance of both being listed and your book still being free when my post both goes live and when it is read (I often post at night, which means most readers may not see that your book is free until the day after I post) if your book is free at least two days in a row.
4. Freebooksy: Freebooksy works with authors of most genres. (We like to keep things clean so no X-rated material please). In order to give away a book on Freebooksy your book MUST be available for free for the Kindle, Nook or Apple device. We also offer guaranteed features for a small fee.
5. Bargain ebook hunter: Simply use the contact form to let us know about your free title and we will consider listing it on our site. There is NO COST to you if you contact us and we choose to post your free book. It is recommended that you contact us a week or more in advance of when you have planned your KDP Select free days. We accept all genres except erotica. The price for our Guaranteed Free Placement is currently $5.00 per title.
6. Snickslist: This site is for Amazon Kindle Freebie promotion only. Your book must be currently free on Amazon to list your book here. Please list your book the day it goes free. You can list it for the number of days it will be available for free.
7. Orangeberry Book Tours: Please ensure your book has a minimum of 3 reviews. This is not a guaranteed listing. To sponsor a guaranteed listing, please book the Orangerry Free Alert. You may list the same book once every 30 days. Orangeberry Book Tours reserves the right to reject any book without notice. You will not receive a notification whether your book is listed or not. Please check my FB page at a pproximately 2000 hours GMT.
8. Free Kindle Fiction: We receive so many book submissions that we can't post them all. We have a new feature below the form where you can get a guarantee that your book will be posted for only $5.00.
9. Indiebookoftheday: Please send in your submissions at least 2 days before your book goes free, we give priorities to authors who notify us in advance. Last minute submissions are quite labor intensive. If you send us submissions in advance and plan to change, please do notify us within 1 week from your given date. This is to avoid confusion and disappointing readers after your book has been added to the ‘Soon to be Free’ listing. Kindly stick to your commitments. Remember to confirm your submission, or we cannot process it. We filter books and give priority to books with good reviews and rating. If your book has low rating (below 2) or bad reviews, kindly look into the complaints before seeking further promotion. We will not list books that contain the following: graphical erotic descriptions, pornography, graphic BDSM elements, explicit sex scenes, soft core porn, contain controversial subject matter, offensive to any race, gender, religion, etc. We reserve the right to refuse any book for any reason.
10. Free Kindle Dude: It costs nothing to submit your book to Free Kindle Dude. Simply fill out the form below and send it over to Free Kindle Dude and you're all done. Free means free for all, not Prime members only. No Erotica. The same title can only be featured once every 30 (thirty) days.
11. Digital Book Today: Our minimum requirements for books to be included are 18+ reviews and a 4.0+ rating due to the increased amount of authors promoting their books for free. We give priority to full length novels. Short stories, novellas, and essays are not accepted. Health/fitness/dieting/cooking/publishing/finance/business/internet/parenting/self help/tech guides and other short guide/advice books are added at our discretion. This is not a guarantee that they will be added to the list if your book falls into any of these broad categories. In our opinion, running a free day for only 1 day is not as effective as a 2 or 3 day promotion. We believe in the theory that some readers need to see the book more than one time before they decide to download it.
12. The Kindle Book Review: If you choose the free option, we require at least a 14-day notice. The free option is not guaranteed, and will not include a cover image. The $5 option only requires a 24-hour notice and is guaranteed.
13. Awesome Gang: Authors, use this form to submit a synopsis of your book and an introduction to yourself as an author. Be descriptive and don't worry about it being too long.
14. Book Goodies: Be featured in our Free Book Days category for a maximum of 5 days at $5 per day. Book Cover will be used in a special post that may have up to 10 book covers listed.
15. Kindle Book Promos: To submit your titles for the KDP Free days, please fill out the form below. Remember we require at least a 2 week notice, otherwise we may not be able
to get your announcement posted.
16. eBooks Habit: We only accept submissions for ebooks that will be free on Amazon in the next 30 days. You must submit your book 2 days before being featured. NO Erotica. We reserve the right to refuse any book submission for any reason.
17. Author Marketing Club: WE LIST ALL BOOKS! AS LONG AS THEY ARE FREE. NOBODY ELSE DOES THAT!
Some forms are more involved than others with a space for book description and such so, say, 15 forms multipled by 10 minutes each will take you about 2 hours and a half of copy-and-pasting and some editing. Add another 30 minutes for reading instructions and taking a 2 minute break now and then.
Then, on the day the promotion starts, you can also check and see whether your book was selected and featured on the free book lists, which will take at least another half an hour of your time:
http://www.pixelofink.com/category/free-kindle-books/ navigate using previous post and next post arrows at bottom
http://www.freebooksy.com/ Nice presentation with books featured according to genres.
http://bargainebookhunter.com/category/free/ There's a calendar you can click on for archived posts that are purged every 60 days.
http://blog.orangeberrypromo.com/ Check their FB page at approximately 2000 hours GMT. https://www.facebook.com/peacefrompieces My impression is that this website doesn't seem to feature any children's books but I could be wrong.
http://ebookshabit.com/ user friendly, no saved archives with books listed earlier
OTHER PLACES TO LIST YOUR PROMO FOR FREE http://kindlebookpromos.luckycinda.com/?page_id=448