These were the best films I saw in 2009 but not all were released in 2009:
1. Bright Star (2009)- Wonderful film about poet Keats and the young woman he loved directed by wonderful Australian director Jane Campion. Brings alive Keats, his circle, his brilliance, and his tragedy.
2. Julie and Julia (2009)- Fine film about cook Julia Child and blogger Julie who cooked every receipe in Julia Child's cookbook.
3. Revolutionary Road (2008) - Released December 2008 and didn't go into wide release into 2009. Moving flim version of Richard Yates' brilliant novel about 1950s conformity and a woman who tries to break free.
4. I Saw the Sun (Turkish 2009)- amazing film about Kurds in Eastern Turkey's 30-year guerilla war and the two Kurdish families who are forced to be refugees.
5. Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) - Michael Moore's documentary where he show foreclosures, unemployment, and other heart aches.
6. Fog of War - amazing documentary about Robert McNamara, Secretary of War for JFK and LBJ- amazing look back at McNamar's part in Vietnam war.
8. Marooned in Iraq (2002)- . Music, danger and romance blend into Iranian Kurdish director Bahman Ghobadi's touching look at the oppression of his Kurdish people. The Iran-Iraq war has just ended, and Mirza, an aging Iranian-Kurd musician, is determined to find his wife, Hanareh, a talented singer who ran away to Iraqi Kurdistan with his best friend. Fearing she may be in jeopardy there, Mirza convinces his two sons, also musicians, to join him on his journey to find her. One of the ten best films of the decade.
Causes Julia Stein Supports
Doctors Without Borders