I'm a "gym junkie." Bet that caught your eye. Okay, maybe I'm more a "wannabe gym junkie" who completed this twice-weekly, 4-week course on how to manoeuver confidently around the cardio equipment and weight machines. Thanks to my amazing trainer, Tracey, I can step gracefully on and off the treadmill, Stairmaster, stationary bike and elliptical machines without looking like a total klutz. I know where to sit and place my feet on the vertical bench, pec dec, ab machine and seated leg press. I have worked out in both public and private gyms. From my gym experiences, I would like to share my list of observations.
1) Why are there so many skinny, spandex-clad females in their 20's, tackling only the treadmills that conveniently faces the huge outside front windows while their tight sexy butts face the rest of us poor "shlobs" sweating on the incumbent bikes?
2) Why are the tv sets tuned to the Food channel at the Ladies Fitness Gym and to the Sports channel in the Guys 'n Gals gym?
3) Why am I the lucky one to follow behind a 7-feet muscle-bound hunk of testosterone who can lift or pull 300 pounds? AND leaves the machines set for his body and not mine?
4) The time limit on the popular equipment is 15-minutes and 5-minutes of my time is spent adjusting the height of the seat, the length of the pulley and the drop in the weights. It wasn't my fault if one of the knobs on that springy thingy fell off while I was trying to adjust the seat to my 5'2" height. I still think I should have been compensated for another 5-minutes at least.
5) Guys can be so macho when they do that male strut in the bar-bell corner. Even though they pretend they don't see you looking, they love an audience.
6) Why do I always feel so great after working through the entire circuit, then ruin it by treating myself to a warm "jammy doughboy" even though I drank it down with a healthy carrot juice cocktail?
7) It's a know fact that gals can do anything guys can do, especially when we have the advantage of spandex. All that bending and stretching is great for our bodies, supposedly eye-candy for the guys and most important of all, can be distracting enough to allow us extra time on our favourite machines. Hey, if you got it--flaunt it. We worked darn hard to get there--See you at the gym!