- Don't mention that you have always wanted to write. It is neither pertinent nor original.
- Don't confuse the verb "quote" with the noun "quotation." There is no tolerance for mistakes in grammar in a query letter.
- Don't pitch more than one book at a time.
- Don't refer to your novel as a "fictional novel." By definition, a novel is fiction.
- Don't overuse exclamation marks, question marks, or sentence fragments.
Additionally, avoid using italics for internal thought--both in your query letter and in your novel. Agents recognize italics as a crutch to avoid writing better transitions and point-of-view.
Writing Picture Perfect Query Letters [Sharing with Writers and Readers]
Check out the original article on my website.