Foreword by Tom Zeller Jr., Editor, Green Inc., The New York Times
Save some green by going green with these environmentally friendly gadgets!
With concern for the future of our environment growing stronger and more serious every day, there has never been a better time to take a new approach to some of the most popular gizmos and gadgets on the market and learn how you can convernt to electronics that have minimal environmental impact.
Green gadgets encompass everything from iPods to energy-efficient home entertainment devices to solar laptop chargers and crank-powered gizmos. This helpful resource explains how to research green gadgets, make a smart purchasing decision, use products you already own in a more environmentally friendly way, and say goodbye to electronics that zap both energy and money.
- Explore the environmental and financial benefits of green gadgets with this friendly reference
- Discusses which gadgets save energy-and which ones create energy
- Learn ways to offset your carbon footprint when you can't reduce consumption
- Get tips for understanding products labels and avoiding "greenwash"
- Discover how to calculate the energy and money your gadgets consume
Get moving and start living green with this informative guide to environmentally and wallet-friendly gadgets!
From the Back Cover
Think green, save green, love Mother Earth, and have your gadgets too
No doubt about it, we're a society of gadget freaks. But if you love your gadgets and the planet and saving money, here's where it all comes together. Discover new environmentally friendly gadgets, ways to use the ones you have more efficiently, and steps to safely recycle or dispose of out-of-date or broken gizmos. You'll even find out how being green saves green!
- Start thinking green — learn the "four Rs" of green gadgetry, understand carbon footprints, and starve energy vampires
- Save energy now — by using rechargeable batteries, monitoring power use, adjusting settings on TVs and video game consoles, and more
- Control your computer — discover how to adjust power conservation settings for Macs and PCs
- Know green from greenwash — find out how to choose electronic devices that are truly environmentally friendly
- Recognize when it's time to say goodbye — know what you can donate, how to erase your personal information, and how to find reputable recyclers
Visit the companion Web site at www.dummies.com/go/greengadgetsfd to find more online resources and information about green gadgets!
Open the book and find:
- How many dollars you can save with energy-saving settings
- Sneaky ways your gadgets steal energy
- The six sins of greenwashing
- Safe ways to dispose of dead batteries
- How (and why) to deauthorize iTunes before donating your PC
- Steps for wiping Windows or Mac hard drives
- Greener gadgets for your home, car, and outdoor activities
- What EnergyStar ratings mean