Every year Sarah Dessen lists what she is grateful for on her birthday, and she has items that correspond with her age. So I'm stealing a page from her book and listing thirty-six things I am thankful for this year on Thanksgiving Eve. In no particular order, here we go:
1. My parents are in good health.
2. My cat Gussie.
3. My new cat, Ida B.
4. My nephew
5. My niece.
6. Turner Classic Movies. Where else can you see The Oscar one night, then a silent film the next?
7. I have a job, thank God.
8. I received two raises this year!
9. I finally bought an ipod.
10. I have found friends/classmates on facebook.
11. I lost weight!
12. The election is finally OVER!!!!!!!
13. On January 20th, I'll see Barack Obama putting his hand on a bible and raising his right hand.
14. Sarah Palin is around to make us laugh.
15. I can access old episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
16. I gave up Coca-Colas!
17.I got to do workshops with Ariel Gore, Kerry Madden, and Christina Maldrum.
18. I have a box of books to read, thanks to the Red Room Summer Reading Contest.
19. We had a good crop of tomatoes in our garden.
20. I finished a draft of my YA mystery.
21. I started a book of essays.
22. I received a note from Connie May Fowler saying how much she loved my review of her memoir.
23. I got to meet Marc Acito and Jeanne Birdsall at readings.
24. My friends Lilly-Marie and Laura got their Master's Degrees!
25. My niece started kidnergarden.
26. I've met really great people here at RR: Huntington, Ivory, Thomas, Belle, Ericka, Lynn, Patrick, Darlene, and Susan Brown from Davis.
27. I got to see Jessica Barksdale Inclan read from her new romance.
28. Susan Browne and I had drinks at Writers With Drinks and she brought the house down with her poetry.
29. I've got almost all my Christmas shopping done.
30. There was a new Eva Cassidy CD released.
31. I've been friends with Meranda for twenty-five years.
32. Joe Biden might contribute humor the next four years.
33. I might have found a great apartment for my mother and I.
34. I had an amazing dinner with Ivory, her husband Abe, Terry McMillan, Katie Burke, Ericka Lutz, and the Bronsteins.
35. I spent a lovely night at the St. Francis.
36. Last but not least, I am so grateful for the Red Room community, for helping me find my writing voice again.
Tomorrow I'll be watching the Thanksgiving Day parade, listening to KPFA's coverage at Alcatraz, and petting a cat. Life is good.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Causes Jennifer Gibbons Supports
Gilda's Club, Greenpeace, Rosie's Broadway Kids,Westwind Foster Family Agency, Amber Brown Fund, Linda Duncan Fund for Contra Costa Libraries