Alchemy or Testing Thirteen Perfumes
(I was asked to give impressions of different scents being created by a perfumer. These are the thoughts that arose from testing each one.)
1. Playing in the woods near a damp stone cottage, riverbound. A mossy memory of an old, old childhood. Almost forgettable. But.
2. This is a call from The Force of Springtime in another world. Ripe for growing one's soul. Not to be resisted, the urge to be becomes the impetus. Irresistible.
3. A fire in the nearby woods wafts over the scent of spirits in the atelier. Two forms of turpentine merge to form a metallic lever with which to dislodge old memories, entrenched too deep, too long. The smoke of power rises.
4. Wild Christmas bursts into the night, dressed in pagan clothes. Bright berries watch from their yews. On this woodsy, dusky, nocturnal eve, dark branches ring the clearing where legends glow. Wise revellers dance. Unseen Power frosts the silver air. This is the magick of the world.
5. Refined and polished leather - clean, male and tame. Stallion, gelded.
6. Inside the mothered kitchen, alkaline odours mask leafy autumn smoke. The windows are closed. A wild wind wails at the pane. But honeyed mace and warmth wins out. We almost wish it didn't.
7. Cold, bitter flowers with acid-green leaves. Concentrated. Wholly clean. Many-fingered. Not quite human.
8. Bright, aged citrus. Sprightly but no mystery. Not part of the future of my skin.
9. Shiny playful baubles - recently washed. Mischievous but no haunting undertone. Charming but obvious. Scents from a sitcom.
10. A magnetic fragrance. My skin, my kin - from the inside out. Knowable yet mystery prevails. One pledges absolute, undistracted and lost loyalty to its maker. This will seep into the blood.
11. Cold houses and winter-stone streets - a few morning people fresh from toothpaste and soap open their market stalls. Faint unripe fruit barely scents the air. Not Rome but Helsinki.
12. Tangerine liquid. Nice but tame. A Canadian tea party.
13. But this is other side of darkness, rarely seen - the flip side of brimstone - volcanic, dark and bright. It is the crack in the mudded world - its fire-heart revealed. Hidden sunlight in middle earth. Seen only by those with mirrored eyes, brilliant, dark, refractory.
Causes Harrison Solow Supports
Lupus Foundation of America
Museum of Tolerance