Human impatience trips you as you run;
Stand still and you must lie.
It is the grass that cuts the mower down;
It is the cloud that swallows up the sky.
Adrienne Rich, Rural Reflections
I use the word Ironic more than any other adjective--
my constant awe of the unexpected, the not-to-be believed,
the act that comes out of nowhere -- somehow
disbelief is overpowered by irony. And I nod.
The obvious ones:
- Shoot a child, go free;
get a child a better education, go to jail
- Gather them together for art, a ball game,
ice skating, music, cartoons: add sugar
- The L is liberty is a rifle butt; F in freedom, the magazine
And so it goes:
- I love my garden, and my technology—every new machine, a vine
- I doze holding coffee, a double-- the warm fire quiets me
- The glasses on my head are the ones I’ve been searching for;
if I could only see what I know
Irony is safer than incredulity
you can take anything--
position all elements on a grid
guide what we see and where--
Easier to perceive
than the alignment,
the conflict than the convergence.
Better for the wit
than the worry.
Causes Elmaz Abinader Supports