I can't say I'm exactly drowning in daffodils, and I don't have much of a green thumb. My most recent experience with "raising green" has been a tiny Turf n' Tin. My sister actually swiped it from a booth at a career fair for engineers at her university. Okay, she didn't "swipe" it exactly. These events are often replete with free swag (to be used as plastic bribes) to coax students into listening to well rehearsed elevator pitches. Instead of another nalgene, she got some free turf.
At first it was pretty exciting. We removed the lid and propped it up against an eastward window. I remember watching my sister pour about half a cup right in the middle. Everyday it was the same ritual. Then we waited. One day turned into two, and two days turned into a fortnight--nothing grew.
Neither of us could wrap our heads around it. With a little research, I discovered the turf in the Turf n' Tin is actually wheatgrass and 'parently they're not too big on too much water. Instead of a sprig of green, we got an incursion of white waxy critters: slime mold.
That's the closest I've gotten to raising my own green. I hope this will help some other over zealous wheatgrass planters out there.