AOL's family site ParentDish has created a new column, The Family Gaytriarchs, in which I am one of two alternating columnists. This is the first time ever that a mainstream media outlet has ever added gay parents to their official roster of columnists and I am thrilled to be helping break this new ground. I write on alternate Wednesdays. My second column, posted today, starts like this:
My daughter, Diva, and I were at a friend's house for a playdate and Rose, her buddy, was in fine form. Just before we got there, Rose's mom had given her one explicit instruction: Stay out of the hair care products in the bathroom, which Rose had been treating like playthings.
Naturally, Rose disappeared with Diva the instant we arrived, returning moments later to show that they had frozen their tresses into sticky Aquanet sculptures. This set the tone for a day which included explicit disobedience, tantrum-throwing, a bold-face lie or two and weeping when criticized for any of the above.
I have to admit my immediate reaction was this: Oh, thank God! My daughter's not the only one! Indeed, the whole thing warmed my heart with what I'll call childrenfreude: the secret pleasure of watching bad kids happen to good parents.
Read the rest at ParentDish.
I'm hoping you'll visit the column regularly.
Here are 5 ways you can help spread the word:
1) Just click on the link above, which will add viewership to the page, which AOL carefully tracks. The more viewers, the more support.
2) Post a comment (about the column's existence in general or its content in specific, but not about being happy for me personally). The more comments, the more evidence of a column's value. Of course, I'd love to read your comments here on Red Room, too.
3) Tell friends about it on your FB page, in your online groups, other social networking sites, and forums. Be brief and enthusiastic and include the link.
4) Write about it or mention it to peers at your publication who might be interested.
5) E-mail friends/peers/groups who you think might be interested and ask them to do all of the above.
Thanks for any support you can offer!
Causes David Valdes Greenwood Supports
The Theater Offensive. Oxfam America. Big Brothers Big Sisters. The Heifer Project.