The following is a list of books for senior high school students. It is ambitious, diverse and interesting.
Life meets literature: Topics from Senior Seminars
1. 1984 by George Orwell. Government Surveillance: How much is too much?
2. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. How have women’s roles changed in the past two generations? What are women’s conflicts between dreams and reality? Can those conflicts be resolved?
3. Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. How does society deal with outcasts? In what ways are we all “outcasts”?
4. Dubliners by James Joyce. Are we our brothers’ keepers? What responsibility does society have to those who exhibit abusive behavior? What do we have in common with addictive personalities?
5. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Do terrorists and hostages share common bonds? If you were president, how would you deal with a hostage crisis?
6. Hamlet by Shakespeare. In a situation where all choices seem to have negative consequences, how do you avoid tragedy? Is Hamlet a prototype for the modern monarch or president? – Erica Jacobs
Here is the article: