Barnes & Noble, Inc., the world's largest bookseller, announced today that Cathy Marie Buchanan's The Day the Falls Stood Still (Voice) is the 15th "Main Selection" in the Barnes & Noble Recommends program. The book goes on sale today, August 25.
New York, NY (PRWEB) August 25, 2009 -- Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller, announced today that Cathy Marie Buchanan's The Day the Falls Stood Still (Voice) is the 15th "Main Selection" in the Barnes & Noble Recommends program. The book goes on sale today, August 25, and can be purchased at any Barnes & Noble store or online at Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com/recommends?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-Fal...).
"This debut novel from Cathy Marie Buchanan beautifully evokes the wild wonder of its Niagara Falls setting, while holding the reader's interest in a gripping and unusual love story," said Jaime Carey, chief merchandising officer of Barnes & Noble, Inc. "The result is a transporting novel that captures the majesty of nature and the mystery of love."
The Day the Falls Stood Still intertwines the tragic yet transcendent story of the trials of a young couple with the historical drama of the exploitation of the famed river's natural resources. Just as the current of the river is threatened by electric companies intent on harnessing its power, so too is the nascent romance between Bess Heath, a young girl whose family has recently fallen from grace, and Tom Cole, the working class grandson of a legendary local hero, threatened by the prejudices of Bess' family. Seventeen-year-old Bess has led a sheltered life as the youngest daughter of the director of the Niagara Power Company. After graduation day at her boarding school, Bess returns home to find that nothing is as she left it. Her father has lost his job at the power company, her mother is reduced to taking in sewing, and Isabel, her formerly vivacious older sister, harbors a deep secret. The rough-hewn Tom strolls the river's edge selling fish, and has an uncanny ability to predict the whims of the falls. But when he and Bess meet by chance on a trolley platform, Bess must make a painful choice between her desires and those of her family.
A Barnes & Noble bookseller who voted for this selection commented, "With Niagara Falls as the backdrop, this intelligent tale of a woman's strength, and the riverman whose bravery and passion sweep her away, is an unforgettable story of love and family, greed and hardship." Another bookseller added, "Definitely the best book I've read this year! I could almost feel the mist wafting from Niagara Falls."
The Barnes & Noble Recommends program includes:
- Barnes & Noble store events. Reading group discussions and author appearances for The Day the Falls Stood Still will be held in select Barnes & Noble stores.
- The Online Experience. A video interview with Cathy Marie Buchanan will be posted online along with interactive discussions of this and other recommended books at BN.com/recommends (www.bn.com/recommends?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-Fal...)
- A free reading group guide. A free reader's guide, including discussion questions and more about the author, is available at any Barnes & Noble store and at BN.com/recommends (www.bn.com/recommends?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-Fal...)
- Advice for reading groups. Customers can ask any Barnes & Noble bookseller for a copy of our free guide on how to start a reading group. The guide can also be found online at BN.com/bookclubs (www.bn.com/bookclubs?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-Fall...)
Barnes & Noble Recommends Main Selections are chosen by the company's booksellers from across the country. Each selection is a book that Barnes & Noble recommends unconditionally, believes is "unputdownable" and is especially appropriate for book discussion groups. The books can be discussed online at BN.com/recommends (www.bn.com/recommends?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-Fal...).
The previous 14 Barnes & Noble Recommends Main Selections are:
- Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale (Atria Books).
- Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind (Shaye Areheart Books).
- Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist (Harcourt).
- Paulette Jiles' Stormy Weather (William Morrow).
- Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells (Bantam Books).
- Maggie O'Farrell's The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Harcourt).
- Marisa de los Santos' Belong to Me (William Morrow).
- Tom Rob Smith's Child 44 (Grand Central Publishing).
- Ethan Canin's America America (Random House).
- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows' The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (The Dial Press).
- Stieg Larsson's The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (Knopf).
- Spencer Quinn's Dog On It (Simon & Schuster).
- Sarah Dallas' Prayers For Sale (St. Martin's Press).
- Katherine Howe's The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (Hyperion/Voice).
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 774 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble is the nation's top bookseller brand for the sixth year in a row, as determined by a combination of the brand's performance on familiarity, quality, and purchase intent; the top bookseller in quality for the second year in a row and the number two retailer in trust, according to the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive®. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through Barnes & Noble.com (http://www.bn.com?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-FallsSt...), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites. The Barnes & Noble eBookstore (http://www.bn.com/ebooks?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-...), the world's largest eBookstore, on Barnes & Noble.com (http://www.bn.com?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_-FallsSt...), enables customers to buy eBooks and read them on a wide range of platforms, including the iPhone and iPod touch, BlackBerry® smartphones, as well as most Windows® and Mac® laptops or full-sized desktop computers.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: BarnesandNobleinc.com (http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecom...).
Social Media Links:
Follow Barnes & Noble on Twitter (http://www.bn.com/twitter?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNRecommends-_...)
Become a Fan of our Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/barnesandnoble?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-B...)
Subscribe to our BN Studio YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/BNStudio?cm_mmc=press_release-_-PR_Web-_-BNR...)
Carolyn J. Brown
Barnes & Noble