Happy New Year everyone!
The black-eyed peas are soaking, the collard greens are slow cooking and the rice steaming. Today we will ring in the New Year's southern style!
Between culinary chores I have made some New Year's challenges for myself. I gave up making resolutions years ago. The goal to lose weight or work harder never sticks for more than a few weeks. My challenges are small positive changes that are attainable. I don't beat myself up if I don't always measure up. I re-focus and try again.
Here's a sampling of some of the challenges for 2012:
1. To find different ways to inspire my writing. In the past few days I've signed up for a couple of writing challenges. The site will send prompts for daily, weekly and monthly reflections. Some days I suffer from writer's block. I hope the prompts will give me more inspiration.
2. To be more faithful to my journal writing. I've developed a good discipline for blogging, but miss the daily journal check-in.
3. Discover a new activity. I would like try something new, preferably an outdoor activity. I'm currently exploring my options.
4. Be more open to new opportunities: to travel, to find new hobbies, to meet new people. My world was drastically reduced to a very small circle post divorce and job loss. I want to connect with more people who share my interests.
5. Indulge myself more. I am a caretaker, but often place myself on the bottom of the heap. I began to take more time for myself last year. I will continue this practice in 2012.
6. Enjoy each moment. Take the time to stop and smell the roses. Find something to be grateful for each day. Count my blessings often. Celebrate more, fuss and worry less.
I wish everyone good health and good fortune in all your endeavors. Happy New Year!
Causes Annette Talbert Supports
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, RIF (Reading is Fundamental),
Hands On Foundation, Dignity U Wear, Girls, Inc.