How often have we heard "It's nothing against you, it's not personal-it's just business"? But in fact, at work it's never just business-it's always personal. In this groundbreaking look at what's really going on from 9 to 5-the crying, yelling, and bullying, as well as the friendship and laughter borne of creative collaboration-journalist and former corporate executive Anne Kreamer shows us how to get rational about our emotions, and provides the necessary new tools to flourish in an emotionally charged workplace.
With women now the majority of the workforce and the lines between office and personal life blurring as never before, the dynamics of work have shifted profoundly. It's Always Personal combines the latest information on the intricacies of the human brain, candid stories from employees, and the surprising results of two new national surveys, reported here for the first time, which reached out to workers from all walks of life about their emotions on the job.
Both timely and crucial, It's Always Personal also reveals
- a neurological understanding of the six main emotional flashpoints: anger, fear, anxiety, empathy, joy, and crying
• an exploration of why we as a society self-defeatingly regard displays of emotion in the workplace as shameful, and how the different emotional rules applied to men and women affect our modern notions of gender equality
- evidence that suppressing emotions can actually have a negative impact on companies' bottom lines
• a step-by-step guide for identifying your emotional type: Spouter, Accepter, Believer, or Solver, with appropriate tactics for dealing with that style in a complex work environment
- Emotion Management Toolkits that provide the means to cope with specific emotionally challenging situations
An innovative study of gender, emotion, and power, It's Always Personal is an essential companion for everyone-managers and employees alike-navigating the often confusing and challenging realities of the contemporary workplace.