Dear God -
Thanks for everything, but in particular, the following:
1) Thank you for my children. Despite my concerted and muffed up efforts, they are all turning out to be quite wonderful. They are nearly all grown up now and they are just a way, whole lot better than me. This knowledge will not stop me from trying to make them even more better at everything, from software savviness to boy-girl relationships, how to manage their finances, and their jobs.
2) Thank you for hot water. I know that lots of people have to walk miles to carry jugs of water back to their families, so I take water in general quite seriously. Oh God, hot water to me is one of your better gifts. And I fully appreciate this when I go to take a shower in the morning and there is none. None hot water, that is.
3) Thank you for Green Bean Bake. I can't manage to make this unbelievably simple recipe, so please let somebody, anybody, bring Green Bean Bake to dinner on Thursday. It reminds me of my mom.
4) Thank you for letting me live in New York. Much as I love the tiny town I grew up in, New York is really something. Every day is a gift - especially to a writer!
5) Thank you for letting me grow up speaking English. I have a deep and profound love for this language and I do not think I would ever be able to learn it if I grew up speaking Japanese. I can say this with some authority because I spent a year in graduate school studying Japanese.
6) Thank you for Law and Order SVU. Those relentless and ubiquitous reruns give me a chance to bond with my daughters, sitting on the couch with our cellphones, IPads, Macs, laptops, and IPhones in our hands.
Finally, let me thank you for any chance to visit with my family. Any day I can spend with my family is a good day.
Pass the stuffing please.