Along with my writing passion, I enjoy music. It's my other major hobby. As a musician, song lyrics seem to speak to my soul more than other sorts of poetic language. So what is my favorite poem? I would have to select from the works of masterful song writers, though it's hard to pick a favorite.
Here are some of my picks (the list is by no meas all inclusive and focuses mainly on favorites from popular music):
- All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan made famous by Jimi Hendrix: This is the perfect anthem for a creative mind who has something to say as I set out to challenge the status quo. I love the way the song ends just before the saga of the joker and the thief is about to begin.
- Knocking on Heaven's Door byBob Dylan:This is a delicate expression of some of the deepest spiritual pains we suffer as humans.
- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin: People claim that this is a stoner song, but I don't buy it. When I listen to it, I hear a parable about searching for heaven in the wrong places.
- American Pie by Don Mclean: This song is far more complex than the others I have listed. It took a bit of outside help for me to understand it. After this enlightenment, I found it to be a thought provoking and solemn tribute to the ingenius Buddy Holly who was a major part of a musical revolution, but died tragically.
- All You Need is Love by The Beatles: Sometimes the most important and profound truths boil down to something that's dirt simple. The Book of Mormon states that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass." I believe that is most definately true about love.
- Nothing Else Matters by Metallica: This is a thought provoking song about being open minded as well as being true to yourself. I live in Utah valley which many refer to as "happy valley". People here have a reputation for living in a bubble. There is truth to this statement from things that I've observed. Even though I'm conservative like others here, I also recognize the dangers of overly strict conservatism.
- Low Man's Lyric by Metallica: This is a dark, but powerful song of what one goes through a battle with addiction.
- The World I Know by Collective Soul: I especially gained appreciation for this one after seeing the music video. It put me on the edge of tears and expanded the appreciation for my life. It is rare to find a music video that has that sort of effect.
- Mad World by Tears for Fears: I didn't realize util I just looked it up that this was from Tears for Fears. I can't quite put my finger on why this song effects me like it does. It just has this haunting way of connecting to the soul. I think it's something about the way it speaks in this tragic and depressing manner of ordinary and benign things that makes me feel as though it is empathizing with the sorrows of my life. Afterall, most of our problems are far from being epic, yet they are still very real.
There are many more I could list, but in the interest of time, this will have to do.