Take Stock When You’re Cut Off
1. What is it that you always come in second or third? When the recruiter says it’s between you and another guy, it’s the other guy.
2. When people give you soft answers to this question, or others like it, insist on hard ones. If you show you’re serious about this, they’ll shoot straight.
3. Ask the same questions of your spouse, closest friend and blunt sister. They know you well.
4. Quitting makes it harder to start next time. If you quit, it’s because you want to. If you want to, it’s because you’re discouraged.
5. Face the feedback. Finalists are victors. They devote themselves to competence. Finalist has the same root as ‘fine.” Be fine!
6. Sometimes winners lose by winning. Sometimes losers win by losing. It can be confusing, but time often reveals the reasons why.
7. There’s a larger picture, too. Sometimes it’s just another person’s turn, or simply not yours. I call it Destiny. Feel fortunate.
Causes Allan Cox Supports
Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago, Gilda's Club (cancer) Chicago, Martin Marty Center, University of Chicago, Iona Center, Healdsburg, CA (all 401-C-3s...