A favorite of Red Room author Dave Logan.
Mission: charity: water is a non-profit bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations.
Founder: Scott Harrison
Year founded: 2006
- Has brought clean water to over one million people since the organization's founding
- Raised $8.5 million in 2009 alone, and reached out to more than sixteen developing nations by the year's close
- Launched mycharitywater.org, allowing users to campaign on their own and raise $1.2 million in 2009.
The global water crisis is only recently becoming a central issue for developed nations, however, there are already billions of disaffected individuals who have already been living this reality. Scott Harrison and charity: water are set on making clean drinking water available to these people, in order to prevent and protect against the problems and diseases and which have claimed millions of lives unecessarily.
- 100% of donations from private individuals are focused directly towards on-the-ground water projects.
- Donors can choose the location where their money will be put to use
- Projects implemented by charity: water include hand dug wells, drilled wells, spring protections, biosand filters, and a number of other technologies that promote health and sanitation in drinking water.
Charity: water recognizes that the global water crisis is something that can only get worse in the future. It is imperative that we implement these technologies now to prepare for greater crises that will come with time.
–Daniel Fried, Assistant Editor, Red Room
Return to Causes We Support page.